I have absolutely no idea where to start with this so I'm just going to dive in. My parents are Thomas Michael Chisolm and Tina Dianne Chisolm (Rappa). They are incredible.
My dad is the middle child of three siblings born to Durward and Robbie Sue Chisolm. He was born in Meridian, Mississippi and moved to Decatur when he was in elementary school. To this day, he calls Mississippi home. My dad didn't have the easiest of childhoods. Born to a father who was an alcoholic and gambler, he often did without. He knew things that he shouldn't have known. He doesn't talk about it much but when he does I like to listen to his stories. One of my favorite stories to hear my dad tell is one that involves my granddad's involvement with Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). Fortunately, my grandfather stopped drinking when my dad was still a child. My grandfather quit drinking cold turkey and started going to AA meetings. He maintained sobriety from that day forward. He died when he was in his 80's; a sober man. His AA sponsor bought my dad his very first baseball glove. It's a good thing because my dad is a good ball player and continued to play ball well into my childhood. I used to love going to watch my dad play! One of my favorite memories is that my dad and I used to share a can of Hungry Jack biscuits EVERY morning before school. Maybe "share" isn't the right word. I ate seven, he had three. Not exactly an even split but he never complained. I'm a daddy's girl now and forever.
My dad is a hard worker. As a younger man, my dad was a land surveyor. Eventually, he ended up owner of Chisolm's TV and Stereo, a business that his father started. We give my dad a hard time because his shop used to be in the building that is now Blind Willies in the Virginia Highlands. Before making the decision to move his business to East Point, he had an opportunity to buy the Blind Willies building for the cheap cheap. He didn't but as dad says "it wasn't meant to be." My dad still drives to East Point every day from Snellville. Chisolm's TV and Stereo is still in business. The only time my dad didn't go to work was if he was snowed in,it was Christmas or the one beach week he took a year. He always provided and took care of us. He worked hard so my mom could stay at home with me and my sister when we were growing up. For that, I am immensely thankful.
Some of my favorite things to do with my dad growing up were playing a good game of HORSE in basketball, playing tennis at the beach, throwing the tennis ball up against the house to see who could catch it and practicing softball. One of my fondest memories is of us playing an endless number of UNO on the couch before bedtime. He never hesitated to spend time with me.
I am so thankful for having a dad that knows its okay to cry and show emotion, that would sit on my bed and let me cry when I needed to, and that continues to show absolute unconditional love and support. I am thankful that my Dad is such a strong Christian man. My dad rocks for so many reasons!
My mom is the only daughter of two children born to Vito and Marie Rappa. My mom was born in Decatur and spent her childhood, teenage and early married years there until she moved to Snellville with my dad in 1972. My granddad was a WWII vet, NAVY,that worked most of his adult life at a printing company. My grandmother was a successful real estate agent. My mom's mom is my only living grandparent. My mom was also the child of an alcoholic. I've blogged about Vito in the past. No doubt, his experience in the war was emotionally damaging and alcohol became his way of dealing with the horrific memories associated with being in the war.
My mother is beautiful. She was in the "popular" crowd at school and was on the Homecoming Court in high school. What makes my mom even more beautiful is that her beauty is both within and external. And she has no idea just how beautiful she is. My mom was a stay-at-home mom most of my childhood. She began teaching preschool at our church and I'm sure made her mark on many young hearts. Now that I'm a mother, I recognize the sacrifice she made to stay home with us. There was such security in knowing that every day after school my mom's car was going to be in the driveway. About once a week, maybe more, my mom took me and my sister to McDonald's for french fries for our after school snack. We loved it. My mom always made sure I got to softball practice, cheer practice, and youth group on time. There were several years that my mom "camped out" with me just to make sure I got a spot on the cheerleading squad. I've learned what it feels like to be a "taxi" service but she would have never called it that and she certainly didn't complain. I used to look forward to shopping with my mom on Saturdays. We'd go to Gwinnett Place Mall. She never bought herself anything. What she had, she spent on my sister and I. One specific memory I have is of the day that I got braces put on my teeth. My mouth hurt so bad and she did what every great mom would do...she took me shopping. I picked out an outfit in The Limited. I still remember that outfit. Saturday mornings were pretty routine. I remember my mom used to vacuum every Saturday morning before we ran errands. I recall sitting in the recliner, eating peanut butter off of a teaspoon, while she cleaned. During the week, she used to let me sit on top of the heating vent in the mornings while I got dressed for school. I imagine that she would say getting me dressed for school in elementary school was absolutely no fun as I evidently complained about how my clothes "felt." My mom is so gentle. I remember her being so cautious when she washed my hair, not to get shampoo in my eyes. She isn't a yeller and really only raised her voice when I deserved it. I'm sure I deserved it more than I got it! My mother has more patience than is fathomable. Thank God or I may have been living in the carport when I was a teenager!
I am thankful for having a mom who is now not only my mother but my best friend. Our relationship has changed and developed into something that I treasure to my core. I wasn't the easiest child (stubborn, strong-willed, had a smart-mouth) which definitely impacted our relationship when I was a teenager. I am so grateful that she has a forgiving heart and a love for me that is unconditional, especially on those days that I was probably really hard to "like." I am thankful for the example she set for me. I look at my own children and hope that they think I am as awesome one day as I think my mom is!
My parents have been married 44 years. They are coming up on 45 years in June. What a blessing and an admirable example of marriage. My parents still live in Snellville where my mom works for The City of Snellville Police Department and my dad continues to operate Chisolm's TV. I relentlessly try and convince them that Decatur is just the place for them to retire! After all, they'd be moving back to where it all started :).
In my opinion, my children have the best Nana and PawPaw EVER! They are such a blessing to my children. Just as loving, giving and committed as they were with me. They go above and beyond. There is nothing they wouldn't do for Connor and Sammie Sam.
I could go on and on about my parents and what they mean to me. I love both of them from the very core of my being and I value every SECOND that I get to spend with them. I thank God every day for their health and presence in my life. I pray for their continued safety and well-being. I pray that they feel as loved as they truly are!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love reading your blog. I am happy to know your "other" grandparents during their last few years. I have an amazing aunt and uncle and my aunt has an amazing brother and wife. I can't forget about my parents! :).
Trina you are right! Al and Clara rock too!
Post a Comment