I feel pretty fortunate to have grown up with all four grandparents in my life up until my early adult years. They have all been special and unique in their own way and all have enriched my life in some way. At age 34, I have one grandmother left. My mom's mom. This grandmother has always been the vibrant one. Never worrying about her health, living on the beach, taking trips to Mississippi to go gambling, and maintaining her real estate property.
Just recently my grandmother has started to show signs of her age. It's sad to think of her as not feeling well, not remembering and not being able to do all those things she used to love. I am reminded that as a kid I never thought my grandparents or my parents would "age." My grandmother has been living between my parent's house and my uncle's house for the past month or so and they've had the unfortunate experience of watching her not be able to take care of herself. She is now the child and they are the parents.
My grandmother will be moving into an assisted living facility, likely this weekend, and this likely will not go over well. I have watched my mom agonize over what to do, how to handle my grandmother's living situation while trying to keep her happy and at the same time keep her own sanity. My mom is hesitant. I get it. She doesn't want to upset or anger her own mom. But as I told my mom earlier, my grandmother has reached a point in her own life where she is incapable of making good decisions for herself. I guess being elderly and losing our independence is likely something we will all go through if the Lord keeps us on earth long enough.
My heart aches for my mother. What a tough decision! I keep reminding my mom that the decisions she makes regarding Grandmother are based out of love and a duty to keep her safe. I'm not sure this makes it any easier for my mom but I think it helps keep things in perspective.
Praying for my mom and grandmother. My grandmother has reached a different stage in her life and so has my mom...although still a daughter, my mom has now taken over the role of parent.
Praying for a smooth transition.
No comments:
Post a Comment